11 notes on the upcoming VP debate.
1. The assumption of some on the Right that Biden will be a dunderheaded fool who’ll get spanked by Ryan is false. Chances are very good that Biden will be anywhere from “just fine” to “quite good.”
2. To the chagrin of many on the Left, Ryan will not come across as a nerdy liar with abs. He will do well, and often be charming and likable.
3. Biden’s role model for this debate is Mitt Romney circa last Wednesday. He’ll come out punching.
4. Sensitive to the criticism Jim Lehrer has received Martha Raddatz will make a point of keeping things under control. Both men will be reasonably well-behaved.
5. Biden will say “47 percent” in 57 percent of his answers.
6. Paul Ryan will not discuss his abs.
7. At some point Biden will try to “Lloyd Bentsen” Paul Ryan…. I knew Jack Lalanne, I worked with Jack Lalanne, You’re no Jack Lalanne….
8. The person most likely to commit a gaffe is…..wait for it….Paul Ryan. Go ahead, slam me for this one. I’m not saying Ryan will commit a horrible gaffe, I’m saying that the one thing Biden is likely to be hyper conscious of is keeping his tongue in check.
9. Paul Ryan’s prime task is to come across with gravitas. He has it on budget matters (whether you like his numbers or not). But on camera he can read like an overgrown boy scout at times. He must anchor his energy on stage. Espcially when answering questions about vouchers and medicare. He must appear to be a man when giving these answers, not an earnest college student.
10. Ryan will be cornered on abortion.
11. Unlike the last debate there will be no clear winner. Much of the media will declare Biden the winner because they are desperate to, and chances are good Biden will be senatorial enough to “win.” But whatever happens Thursday night it won’t matter 48 hours later.
Okay.. now you…how will the VP Debate go.